UNESCO has for more than 50 years hosted this coordination group (which is even older). CCIVS is an international non-governmental organisation which seeks to promote peace, development and human rights through the promotion, development and co-ordination of national and international voluntary service.
CCIVS works through co-operation with its global membership of some 300 volunteers organisations and international agencies to research and co-ordinate international information exchange and to promote international volunteer via many means, including:
· Information and documentation
· Studies and research work
· Encouragement of joint action of voluntary service organisations
· International Solidarity campaigns and special joint actions
· Presentation of the issues concerning the international voluntary service movement before international organisations and in forums
· Exchange of volunteers and training of group leaders
It works in many European and developing nations, but unfortunately does not have a U.S. program.