Go to the Education Portal home page for this spread on UNESCO's celebration of Secondary and Vocational Education.
In many countries, progress towards universal primary education is sharply increasing the demand for secondary education. This is creating unprecedented challenges of transition from primary to secondary levels of education for about one billion adolescents worldwide. UNESCO is helping countries by approach focuses on strategies for increasing the primary to secondary transition and improving the quality and relevance of secondary education.
* How many children in Africa reach secondary education? (PDF)
* Secondary Education at UNESCO
* Secondary and Vocational Education Brief from UNESCO's Bureau of Public Information (PDF)
* Technical and vocational education under scrutiny
* Vocational Education: The Come-back?
Education specialists tend to prescribe technical and vocational education and training as a recipe for jobs for young people. But experiences around the world tend to show that this is not always the case, reports Education Today.